Author Topic: Major Verschoyle Crawford Climo : Manchester Regiment & General Staff Officer  (Read 3042 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator

After service in the West India Regiment with whom he took part in the Ashanti Expedition and later in the South African War, Major Climo subsequently transferred to the Manchester Regiment in 1905.  In 1907 he was appointed to HQ Staff of the Indian Army and in 1914 was in the Reserve of Officers.   With the outbreak of war he was immediately recalled and made a General Staff Officer, 2nd Grade.  He was wounded on two occasions and I see he was twice mentioned in Despatches, although the "mentions" are not recorded by the CWGC.   He died on the 19th February 1919, aged 51 having caught influenza which turned into pneumonia.   He is buried in Yateley (St. Peter) Churchyard.

I wonder what prompted him to further pursue his military career with the Manchesters?  Any suggestions?

PhilipG.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
My be he liked the air in Manchester ;D

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator

Quite right! Especially when augmented with the coal dust from Bradford Colliery.   All the best Philip.

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
Born 26 April 1867.  First commissioned 24 August 1880.  Substantive Major 27 June 1900. He attended Staff College at some stage and is shown as psc in the 1907 Army List.    He retired 11 January 1911 and is shown in the 1917 Army List under Non-effective officers on retired pay.

Several officers transferred to the Manchester Regiment from other regiments during and after the Anglo Boer War.  Possibly because they had served alongside one of our battalions in the war and liked their style; also to retain existing rank or better opportunities for promotion.
Robert

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator

Robert,

Many thanks for that information.   Philip.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Major V.C. Climo's brother was Major-General (possibly Lt-Gen.?) S.H.Climo, Indian Army., C.B., D.S.O., Order of the Nile.   I note that General Climo was mentioned in Despatches on five occasions and that he had been wounded in action.   Another gallant soldier. PhilipG.